Bob Willard's Lincoln Trek

Track progress as Bob Willard undertakes his planned walking adventure from Abraham Lincoln's birthplace to his various homesites in Kentucky, Indiana and Illinois ending at his final resting place in Springfield, Illinois. This narrative is in reverse chronological sequence (i.e., latest at the top) and new readers are advised to start at the bottom and READ UP.

Thursday, September 29, 2005

Day 19 (Wednesday, 9/28) - Summary

I walked to Charleston from Mattoon on a bike trail and was joined on the walk by my host of the prior weekend, Chuck Hand. Charleston, site of one of the seven Lincoln Douglas Debates and home to a museum about the debates, was the place I chose to mail a letter to the Presidential Debates commission; I proposed that the 2008 election, occurring during the 150th anniversary of the Lincoln Douglas debates, should have one of the presidential debates at one of the Lincoln-Douglas sites and follow the format they used. I also was interviewed by a local reporter who wrote a good story about my Lincoln Trek. Because I had cut back on the amount of walking, I have time to take in additional Lincoln sites. As a result, Chuck drove me to Champaign where I plan to spend some time perusing the excellent Lincoln collection in the library of the University of Illinois.