Bob Willard's Lincoln Trek

Track progress as Bob Willard undertakes his planned walking adventure from Abraham Lincoln's birthplace to his various homesites in Kentucky, Indiana and Illinois ending at his final resting place in Springfield, Illinois. This narrative is in reverse chronological sequence (i.e., latest at the top) and new readers are advised to start at the bottom and READ UP.

Friday, September 16, 2005

Day 5 (Wednesday, 9/14) - Cannelton

Today was a quiet day of rest and recuperation. I spent some time in the public library and enjoyed the hospitality of Sally Walker, the library director. I used the downtime to catch up on my blogging and used the library internet facilities to post the entries. Sally, upon learning of my Lincoln interest, expressed hometown pride in an annual theatrical production about Lincoln near the Lincoln Boyhood Home. I was dismayed to report to her that the final production had taken place. Lack of funds to support the effort had caused the theater to pull the plug. I told her about a Weekly Standard column that my friend, Andy Ferguson, had written and promised to get her a copy.

No real walking was scheduled today. I did head out to a steakhouse about a mile down the street for dinner and later about 1/4 mile down to the Ohio River to see the sunset. I had to walk through an opening in a 12 feet tall floodwall to get to the river. I later learned that the Ohio has never come over the top of this wall, although it came close to it in 1997.

My feet and my back appreciate this day of no heavy lifting!