Bob Willard's Lincoln Trek

Track progress as Bob Willard undertakes his planned walking adventure from Abraham Lincoln's birthplace to his various homesites in Kentucky, Indiana and Illinois ending at his final resting place in Springfield, Illinois. This narrative is in reverse chronological sequence (i.e., latest at the top) and new readers are advised to start at the bottom and READ UP.

Monday, October 03, 2005

Day 21 (Friday, 9/30) - Summary

I admit with some embarrassment, I did not even walk to the U of I Library today; I accepted a ride! I returned to perusing a set of 26 scrapbooks that were put together by a member of the Class of 1901, an extraordinary collection of news clips from the 1920s through the 50s dealing with Abraham Lincoln; I only made it through 10 of them. I was so engaged that lunch hour came and went without my noticing. In the afternoon, I spent a little time looking at just a microscopic example of the materials that comprise the Library's extraordinary collection of Carl Sandburg's papers. In March, 1961, I met Sandburg when he spoke at a reenactment of Lincoln's First Inaugural. Today, I held in my hand an interim typed draft of that speech with numerous editorial changes in Sandburg's hand. The day concluded back at the Estabrooks, where the foremost activity was the Red Sox-Yankees game. To demonstrate the Estabrooks' loyalties the food featured a lot of red and white items and all tasted great.